Search our site
Search our site

Your questions answered

Applying to Kingston

Fees and funding

Studying at Kingston

Life at Kingston

What can I study at Kingston?

Most undergraduate courses are open to Study Abroad students. You design your own programme of study (subject to the courses running while you are here and timetabling constraints). 

You should select classes that are appropriate to your studies and that will meet the education requirements at your home institution. Read about the modules available to study.

Do Kingston classes meet US general education requirements?

There are no classes specifically designed for meeting US general education requirements. 

If you need to take a science class for general education, we do not advise doing so at Kingston as we have very few classes that are suitable. 

What are the entry requirements?

You should currently be enrolled as an undergraduate student at a college/university outside the UK. You will normally be required to have an overall GPA in excess of 2.75 on a 1-4 scale. Read more about entry requirements.

Can non-native English speakers apply?

Yes.  However, if your first language is not English, you will need to demonstrate a good level of competence in both written and spoken English. Read more about English language requirements.

When do I apply?

  • Applications for Fall or Year should arrive by 31 May.
  • Applications for Spring should arrive by 1 November.

Some subject areas impose a maximum number of Study Abroad students in any year so we advise applying early. Read more about when to apply.

How do I apply?

We prefer to receive applications that have been submitted to and approved by the international studies office at your home university. If you do not use your international studies office, you must obtain permission to attend from your academic adviser. Read more about how to apply.

Do you have any short courses?

Yes – visit the Summer School website to find out more.

When can I start?

Students can enrol at Kingston for the following sessions:

  • Fall semester
  • Spring semester
  • Academic year (September to June)
  • Summer School

Read more about the programme dates.

Do I need entry clearance or a visa to study in the UK?

We will send you information about immigration once you have been accepted onto the programme. 

It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the requirements of the immigration rules for students. For further advice:

Read more about immigration advice.

Is there an application fee?

No – there is no application fee.

What are the tuition costs?

If you are applying directly to the European and Study Abroad Office at Kingston University, you pay a fee per semester. Read more about fees and expenses.  

How do I pay the fees?

This depends on the route you took to apply to the programme. If you are applying directly, we will bill you. You can then pay by inter-bank transfer or by credit card.

When do I pay the fees?

You pay your fees before arriving at Kingston.

Is there a refund policy?

Yes – although the amount refunded depends on when you withdraw from the programme. Read more about the refund policy.

What other expenses do I need to allow for?

You need to budget for food, housing, books and travel (local and long distance). Read more about budgeting.

Do I have to pay for health insurance?

Most students undertaking a course of study at Kingston University will be entitled to medical care from the National Health Service (NHS). 

There is no charge to see a doctor or to have medical treatment. A charge of £7.20 per item is made for prescription medication (no charge is made for students in full-time education aged 19 and under).

You are not entitled to NHS care if you are:

  • a non-European student studying in the UK for less than three months
  • a student from a country that does not have reciprocal health arrangements with the UK

If you are unsure of your entitlement, please make enquiries at the British Embassy, High Commission or British Council before you arrive in the UK.

We recommend that you obtain medical health insurance before starting your course of study if not entitled to NHS care, as private health care is expensive in the UK.

How many hours a week will I have to study?

This varies from course to course and on the level of study. The minimum time you will spend in lectures will be six hours per week. However, there will also be tutorials (mini-discussion classes) and private-study.

How will I be taught?

Teaching methods vary from discipline to discipline, but most programmes are delivered via lectures, seminars and tutorials. Other methods of teaching include:

  • language laboratory classes;
  • project work;
  • science and technology practicals; and
  • art and design studio work.

Remember that teaching and learning methods may differ greatly in the UK from those in your home country:

  • you will have to carry out a great deal of independent study and reading to supplement seminars, lectures and tutorials; and
  • class contact hours may be less than you are used to.

How will I be assessed?

This will vary from course to course, but may include coursework, papers, group work, presentations and exams.

How do I select classes?

You should select classes that are appropriate to your studies and that will meet major, minor or general education requirements at your home institution. Read more about the academic programme and subject areas.

What happens if my first choice classes are full?

We ask you to submit a selection of classes, along with alternate choices at the time you apply.

We will try to register you for the classes you wish to take. However, classes can fill up quickly so it is important to submit your selections as soon as possible. We do operate waiting lists, so you may be in the class by the time the semester starts. Read more abut our Academic programme.

How do I tell when a class is running?

It will be clear from the summary information in the class title line in the module directory whether a class is semester or year long.

What happens if I'm ill?

All students should register with a General Health Practitioner (GP) as soon as possible after arriving in Kingston. Most medical care is provided by GPs.  However, you may be referred for a specialist opinion at a hospital. 

Students living in the Kingston area, including all students in halls of residence, may register with the University's on-site Health Centre, located at the Penrhyn Road campus. Registration is free and only takes a few minutes.

If you choose to arrange your own housing and live outside of the immediate area, you may encounter problems registering with a GP where you live.

Can I work during my time at Kingston?

Information about working restrictions is available on We will send you more information about this when you are accepted to study at Kingston University. Read more about the rules for working.

Where is Kingston?

Kingston upon Thames is a busy riverside town on the borders of London and Surrey. Our students benefit from being close to London and living in a friendly environment.

Kingston is just 30 minutes by train from London. Read more about Kingston's location.

What is the weather like in the UK?

The English climate can be very changeable:

  • in September the average temperature will be about 15ºC (59ºF)
  • by December/January it can fall as low as 1º–3ºC (33.8–37.4ºF)
  • in summer months temperatures in the South of England can be quite hot at around 25ºC (77ºF) or higher

It can often rain in short bursts, so we recommend bringing an umbrella and a waterproof jacket.

If you would like a better idea of the weather to expect, take a look at the Met Office website.

What if I have problems or need help?

Your first point of contact will be the Study Abroad International Learning Office, who will always be available to help. They can direct you to whoever you need to deal effectively with your query.

Are there other international students in Kingston?

Students from more than 150 countries study at Kingston University. Around 17% of our students are from outside the UK.

Can I practise my religion?

Yes – Kingston University is a multi-faith, multicultural community. The Faith and Spirituality team plays an important role in supporting all students regardless of their religious beliefs. Read more about faith at Kingston University.

Are there any clubs I can join?

The Union of Kingston Students runs numerous clubs and societies, including:

  • a wide range of sporting clubs – such as badminton, soccer, basketball, climbing, rowing and skiing
  • film and TV societies
  • music and design societies
  • politics societies.

The International Students' Club also organises social and cultural events throughout the academic year. Read more about student life.

Will I get lonely?

All international students can expect to encounter some degree of culture shock, even if already familiar with the UK. 

You may feel homesick from time-to-time, as all students do, but you will have so much to do (studying, new friends to meet and new places to explore) that you probably will not have the time to feel lonely or bored. 

Each semester the European and Study Abroad Office arranges an orientation programme, which enables you to meet other students in the same situation as you.

However, if you do feel anxious or insecure about your new surroundings and life, dedicated counselling and advisory staff are here to help you, in addition to the European and Study Abroad Office. Read more about student support.

How do I get to Kingston University when I arrive?

We offer an airport pick-up service at the start of each semester for new Study Abroad students. We will send you full details and a registration form in your acceptance pack.

Contact us

Study Abroad International Learning Office

Contact the team

Enquiries about coming to Kingston as a visiting student:

Contact us

Study Abroad International Learning Office

Contact the team

Enquiries about coming to Kingston as a visiting student: