Our links with practitioners and industry provide a practical base for our courses. They also help us to ensure your studies are kept up-to-date and relevant to the working environment.
If you choose to study this course, you will benefit from:
Real-world project work
You can take your MSc project:
- in industry – potential placements include forensic labs, analytical companies, contract pharmaceutical companies or hospital labs, for example; or
- as collaborative research with other laboratories – such as the Laboratory of the Government Chemist or the Horseracing Forensic Laboratory at Newmarket.
Recent guest speakers include:
- large pharmaceutical companies discussing contemporary research methods and practice;
- experts at the Laboratory of the Government Chemist (LGC) discussing Valid Analytical Measurement (VAM) and drugs of abuse; and
- a forensic consultant discussing blood alcohol analysis in relation to drink-drive cases.
Recent trips include:
- a tour of the forensic labs at the Laboratory of the Government Chemist (LGC);
- a visit to Kingston Crown Court to see a trial; and
- a visit to a forensic pathology lab to witness an autopsy.